Re: More on appeal to authority.

| Why haven't the two paragraphs after "piece." said it
| all? Joel provides no support for the paragraphs that
| follow. If Joel wants hard evidence of John's voltmeter, it
| may be available as a publication in a refereed journal, or
| in some other way.
| Regards,
| Jack

First, let me make clear, I'm not actually questioning John's voltmeter
result. But in the context of John's missive, and his additional comments,
which I appreciate. Does publication in a refereed journal constitute hard
or soft evidence? IMO, its somewhere inbetween. I get the feeling that
"hard" evidence is the stuff you've personally verified, which makes it
extremely personal in nature. Whereas, there are degrees of soft evidence,
which John does a reasonable job of trying to classify, presumably with the
intent of saying that soft evidence is not entirely without merit. In my
mind, publication in a reputable refereed journal is some of the best kind
of soft evidence that exists.

I suppose I was mostly trying to get more input from folks regarding the
grey area. I think that my note is parallel to Ludwik's comments about
areas where one isn't competent to perform the hard evidence test.

Perhaps I've misunderstood your comment.

Joel