Re: Octal to Decimal Conversion

The subject was given as "Octal to Decimal Conversion" after all....

What are the other named bases? [without peeking...]

unary
binary
ternary
quaternary
quinary (?)
hectal (??)
heptal (???)
octal
nonal (??)
decimal
uno-decimal (??)
duo-decimal (??)
tri-decimal (??)
hexadecimal

Brian

At 10:05 PM 9/11/2004, Herb, you wrote:
*** Thanks for the explanation. But is there much
humor in statements that no one can understand?
...or am I the only one who had this difficulty?

Herb gottlieb

John Clement <clement@HAL-PC.ORG> wrote:
> Octal numbers are in base 8 hence 31 octal = 3x8 + 1 = 25 decimal.
They are commonly used in computer publications, but hex (hexadecimal,
base 16) has gained in popularity.

> Puns explained lose their humor.
>
> John M. Clement, Houston, TX

> > Please be kind enough to explain the above answer for
> > those of us who may be having the same difficulty
> > as the computer scientists.
> >
> > Herb

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!