Re: conversion factors

In a private message Paul R. wrote:

After the back-and-forth of the last set of messages
concerning the post below, I would appreciate your
reposting the message below with corrections to
units and values and with caveats on the different
definitions of "bbl".

Here it is, corrected. Thanks to those who helped.
Sorry for the two typing mistakes in my first message.

Economists discussing energy-related
issues often use commercial units. Below
is a table of conversion factors given by
H. Geller in his 2003 "Energy Revolution:
Politics for a Sustainable Future" book.

1 kwh (kilowatt-hour)=3.6*10^6 J = 3.6 MJ

1 QUAD (quadrillion BTUs)
= 1.05*10^18 J = 1.05 EJ (exa-joules)

1 TOE (ton of oil equivalent) = 4.19*10^10 J
=41.9 GJ

1 BBL (barrel of oil) = 6.1*10^9 J = 6.1 GJ

1 TCE (ton of coal equivalent) = 2.93*10^10 J
= 29.3 GJ

A typical U.S. household consumes about
190 GJ of energy per year (including loses
in electricity production and delivery).

A typical U.S. car or light track consumes about
600 gallons of gasoline per year, equivalent to
79 GJ.

A typical U.S. refrigirator, now in use,
consumes about 3.24 GJ per year (900 kwh).
A 60 W light bulb, used 4 hours per day,
consumes 0.31 GJ per year (88 kwh).

I hope somebody will find this summary useful.
Ludwik Kowalski