Re: Weight of a Juggler

"The weight of the cage should be=
the same with the birds either flying or roosting, but only if the s=
ides are closed."

The top and bottom are sides?

bc

Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:

Brian,

Your ideas for varations sound plausible, except, I think, for the ro=
cket. Unless the rocket were confined to a closed box, much of the r=
eaction force would be applied to the ground in general rather than t=
he scale in specific, so I wouldnm't expect the force to average out =
to the weight of the rocket. Another similar case would be the other=
familiar thought experiment-
birds flying withing a closed cage. The weight of the cage should be=
the same with the birds either flying or roosting, but only if the s=
ides are closed.

Jack,

I don't know that the more involved analysis would be effective in th=
is case. In principle I know where you are coming from, but in pract=
ice I don't think the throws are consistent enough in amplitude or pe=
riod to adequately fit any regular oscillation to the data. The FFT =
shows a definite peak at the frequency of the throws, but the peak is=
broad and lots ot frequencies besides the harmonics have noticable a=
mplitude. =20

Another option would be to find the mean weight for each period separ=
ately, then find the mean and standard error for these numbers. That=
seems much simpler and about as effective method to look for signifi=
cant changes. =20

Tim F