Re: Weight of a Juggler

Jack wrote:
At the 1 sigma level I see no change. The experiment needs considerable
refining. Can you break the fluctuations into a time varying part with
an accurately measured amplitude and "noisy" part due to measurement
uncertainty?

The first sentence was exactly my point - the results of a simple, fun, 1 hour experiment confirm that the "average weight" is independent of any juggling.

As for refinements, let me give a few more details. Each trial collected data for 10 sec @ 20 points/sec. Only the last 6 seconds were used in the analysis (I was doing this by myself and needed a moment to start the experiment and get into a steady rhythm). The data clearly showed a frequency equal to the frequency of the throws. The 0Hz (standing still) showed no particular pattern, so the 0.9N st.dev. is presumable the minimum noise to be expected (some combination of instrument variation & breathing/other slight motion).

The amplitude of the variations above and below the average were relatively constant for each run but increased as the frequency decreased (a few, big throws = a few, big variations). For example, for the middle rate the lowest scale reading for each cycle varied from about 780N to 820N, while the peaks ranged from about 910N to 940N, with the average of 873N (Interestingly to me, the sharpest feature is the valley, not the peak).

If I were to do this more seriously, some of the refinements could be
* longer data collection
* varying weights
* varying juggling patterns
* videotaping
* a metronome to maintain a steady pace
* repeating the trials
* analyzing the height of the peaks & valleys (mean, st.dev, area, etc)
* finding a second juggler to reproduce the results
* calibrate the scale; check linearity; check response time
* an assistant to start the experiment
* $100,000 NSF grant ;-)

Are those the sorts of refinements you were thinking of?

Tim F

P.S. I just by accident saw an old Vernier newsletter where someone used gloves with wires to detect and time the catches of metal objects while juggling. I suppose I could do something like that as well.

Instructor of Physics
Barton County Community College
Great Bend, KS
620-792-9320
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke