Re: conservation of energy

--- John Denker <jsd@AV8N.COM> wrote:
SNIP

So I leave it as a question: what is the problem
that
the -ING terminology is supposed to solve, and is it
the best way to solve that problem?

I don't know that there is a neatly definable problem,
but this "energy primacy" approach treats work, heat,
radiation, etc. simply as processes by which the
energy of a system may be changed. It makes for a much
more coherent "story" at the intro level where the
vast majority of the students are still quite concrete
in their reasoning. At least that's my take. John Barrere