Re: Swartz letter in AJP (work-energy theorem)

Jim Green wrote:

At 09:29 30 08 2004 , the following was received:

This is mostly a heads-up regarding a letter to the editor from Clifford
Swartz regarding the Work-energy theorem in the new issue of AJP (Sept.
'04).

I was a little disappointed by the remarks in response to this post.
They
seemed to say something like -- These are new thoughts, I have never
heard
them before, I never learned anything like this in college..... I suppose
that Galileo received the a similar response -- no he was thought to be
evil, wicked, bad, and nasty. Swartz is spoken of here as "silly."

I looked through the responses to this thread, but could not find Swartz
described as "silly." Someone wrote that he was trying to be "cute" in
the AJP letter. I used the word "silly" in connection with Swartz, but
not about Swartz, on a PHYSLRNR post that was not related to this
thread. I quoted Swartz's description of a text by someone else, in
which he said that there was something wrong or "silly" on almost every
page.

Then he attacks friction. Let's take a side bar: consider a cold widget
which is sliding on ice, the widget slows. therefore its level of
energy
is decreased. The _only_ way to change the level of energy of a
system is
to do work on the system. What then does this work? Obviously it is the
ice. But how? By exerting a frictional force. Hence, friction does
work. And again he does not understand the work/energy theorem.

I am a little puzzled as to why freshmen cannot calculate negative work,
while it is
useful at the junior level "to keep track of which system is doing
what." I am reminded
of a somewhat similar confusing item in the high school text,
_Foundations of Physics_,
2nd ed, by Lehrman and Swartz. On p.45 of the _Teacher's Guide_ for that
text, one finds
"The cavalier way in which we treat the difference in definition of
speed and velocity is
very deliberate. It is a reaction to certain situations in our own
experience where knowledge
of the defined difference became the essential feature of motion study
to be tested with
true-false questions." On p.61 of the text, They states that the words
"velocity" and "speed"
are usually used interchangeably in everday life. They acknowledge the
difference, defining
velocity as the time rate of position, and "speed" as the magnitude of
velocity. Later, on. p. 62, They
write, "When there is no reason to make the distinction, the words are
often used interchangeably."
In the _Teacher's Guide_, they state that the [average] velocity is
defined as (delta d)/(delta t),
where d is presumably position. In the text (p.62) average speed is
defined as v-bar=(delta d)/(delta t).
When I used this text for the first time in 1970, I found all this very
maddening after the clean presentation in PSSC. I am presenting this in
the hope that it might help in the interpretation of Clifford Swartz's
letter. Sometimes, his homey style seems like he is thinking, "You know
what I mean" or, perhaps, "You should know what I mean." His letter
would be clearer if he elaborated on what he meant. I have learned more
from _Foundations of Physics_ than from most books, but it was a little
muddy at times.

I would have forgotten this, except for the fact that, back in 1970, I
quoted L&S's description of their treatment of velocity and speed as
"cavalier." One of the students, a grandson of a famous person that
everyone on this list would recognize, asked what "cavalier" meant. That
caused me more difficulty than the physics, although I knew what was
meant from the context.

Isn't it worth the effort to go through the thought experiment.
Should one
call him silly and dismiss him out of hand just because these thoughts
have
not been heard before.

It is worth the effort. I wasn't too attentive to some previous
discussions about work and energy with all the fine distinctions, so I
will leave it to others to start going through the thought experiment.

Hugh Logan
Retired physics teacher