Re: Olympic data

"Each runner would run alone, like in jumping
competitions. Would such suggestion be taken seriously?"
Ludwik Kowalski

I doubt it -- The point is the horse race, i.e. running at the same
time against each other. Any objection to using high tech. start and
stop of the clock isn't obvious to me. It's demanded in horse races
where lotsa $ is involved. One caveat: An importing part of the race
is leaping from the starting block and concomitant reaction time, so the
clock would have to start w/ the pistol not the occultation of a light beam.

bc, former track star, admittedly a very small team.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Yes, experimental errors in measuring time intervals (microseconds?),
are likely to be very small in comparison with runtime differences
between close competitors (milliseconds). I was thinking about the
random nature of human reaction times between 0 and ~0.3 seconds. To
eliminate that kind of randomness one could define the start time as a
moment at which the first laser beam is interrupted. The second beam,
for example, one hundred meters away, would then be used to determine
the ending moment. Each runner would run alone, like in jumping
competitions. Would such suggestion be taken seriously?
Ludwik Kowalski

On Tuesday, Aug 24, 2004, at 13:02 America/New_York, Brian Whatcott