Re: spherical geometry

David Bowman wrote:

Painted on the concrete floor of each of the cells in the Gitmo
detention complex is an arrow. Question: What direction does this
arrow point?

Hint: The Naval base at Guantanamo has latitude 20.1 deg N and
longitude 75.1 deg W, and the Kab'bah in Mecca has latitude
21.45 deg N and longitude 39.75 deg E. (The latitude difference
between these 2 points is less than 1 1/2 degrees.)

Using methods similar to my PDF, I find the arrow points 29.5 degrees
north of east.

I'll post my formula if you confirm this answer first (cc me directly
to avoid a one-day delay for the digest to come out). Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5040