Re: spherical geometry (was Re: navigation riddle)

Hi all-
I've skipped some messages, so mebbe the problem changed. But the
last version I saw had an east-directed component (line of constant
latitude). Latitude lines are not -with one exception - great circles
(geodesics).
John Denker wrote, in part:
Here's the outline:

1) The legs of the triangle are by definition geodesically
straight.
2) That means each leg is a piece of a great circle, since
we are dealing with a spherical world.

Have I missed something?