Re: spherical geometry (was Re: navigation riddle)

At 10:42 AM 8/13/2004, David Bowman, you wrote:
//
This discussion reminds me of a somewhat related problem. //
Suppose we straightened out the 2nd leg of the path so *all three*
legs of the path are [great cirrcles]... and the length of the 2nd
leg is the same as the length of the 1st and 3rd legs.

///

David Bowman

Or how about this one:
From a fixed point, head due South, continue in a straight line
for one mile: turn due East and continue in that direction for one mile,
then turn onto a due South heading and continue straight for one mile,
to return to your start point.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!