Re: Scientific sites in L.A.

I was treated kindly and shown around the physics labs at UCLA
when I walked in off the street, unannounced, years ago.
The oceanographic lab at ..er.. LaJolla or Scripps? is down the coast towards
San Diego. Not an impossible distance to drive in an afternoon.
You will of course think about renting a sailboat at the
Marina Del Rey for an hour or two. Several GenAv airports rent planes.
Always wanted to hop over to Catalina - never did though.
There may be a ferry ride.

Remember the young fellow who talked his parents into letting
him sail to Catalina - then decided to go on to Hawaii?
He continued round the world, and wrote a book about his adventures,
several years, and a circumnavigation later.

I don't suppose you will catch another meeting of the APS at a
down town hotel this time, featuring Pons & Fleischmann.
Nah: Pons gave up on science a while ago, I heard.

Brian W