Subject: PHYS-L Digest - 20 Jul 2004 to 21 Jul 2004 (#2004-207)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:00:02 -0700
From: Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
To: Recipients of PHYS-L digests <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>

Topics of the day:

1. vector notation
2. chemistry-physics interface

Subject: Re: vector notation
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:34:38 -0700
From: Bernard Cleyet <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>

Am I too old -- I 'm the only one requiring translation of # 3??

I thought a vector was an arrow? What better way to indicate a symbol
is a vector?

bc

Roger Haar wrote:

Hi,

Certainly my preference for teaching, is the
arrow. My reasons include:

1. On the board or overhead I cannot do boldface.
2. Students when working problems cannot do
boldface. So teach them in the manner in which
they will be working.
3. When reading boldface impies to the student
emphasis not a vector. But using something that is
new and unique may at least hint different.

The rules for typesetting are quite old and
predate much of the modern wordprocessing. Also
they might have to increase the line spacing a bit
to fit in the arrows.

Of course, Knight is letting the application be
his guide in what he does. We are not training
students in introductory classes to produce
publications.

Thanks
Roger Haar

Larry Smith wrote:

Randy Knight's new textbook says on page 9, "Some textbooks represent
vectors with boldface type.... This book will consistently display the
vector arrow over vector symbols, just as you should do in handwritten
work."

The NIST special publication 811 on page 34 says "symbols for vectors are
boldface italic." http://physics.nist.gov/Document/typefaces.pdf

I always thought the vector arrow over the letter (or the squiggly under
it) was employed in handwritten work precisely because it is hard to do
boldface by hand. The CRC says "vectors should be printed in bold type, by
preference bold italic (sloping) type... when this is not available,
vectors may be indicated by an arrow...on top of the symbol."

Is Knight letting the tail wag the dog?

How authoritative should the NIST/ISO/IPU publications be considered?

Do you have a clear preference on vector notation (arrow above vs boldface
italic) in your printed material, or don't you care?

Does anyone still use the squiggly under the symbol?

Cheers,
Larry