Re: Cold fusion = Pathological science ???

Guess what? Messages from this thread, plus additional comments, became
unit #161 on my website. See it at:

html://blake.montclair.edu/~kowalskil/cf/161josephson.html

I might append other messages and comments later, if they materialize.
Share what is worth thinking about cold fusion social issues, about its
scientific aspects and, above all, what should we tell students about
the controversial cold fusion topics? I suspect that questions of that
nature will be asked this fall, after the DOE review process is
completed.

During my retirement party I gave a short description of current cold
fusion claims. It was based on unit #152 on my website. I also
mentioned that I might become a cold fusion researcher. The audience
consisted of faculty and some students. Recently I was contacted by a
student who was present, not one of my students. In an e-mail message
she introduced herself and asked if she could assist me in this
research. We met several days later and I tried to discourage her. This
will not help you professionally, I said. On the contrary, this can
hurt you. Many will think that you are a crackpot, like those who take
astrology or UFO seriously. Finding financial support for such research
is likely to be impossible (I am going to pay for the necessary
expenses from my own pocket). Read about the unhealthy situation at my
website and think again. I will not be disappointed if you change your
mind. About a week later I received this reply:

"I wanted to inform you that I have carefully thought about the pros
and cons and I feel that working with you would be very beneficial to
me. Hopefully you will allow me to assist you in the fall."

Do I have a moral right to take advantage of this offer? She is a
sophomore with excellent grades, majoring in both physics and
chemistry.

Ludwik Kowalski