Galileo

I apologize for my original question containing an apparent lack of
clarity.

My understanding of the pre Copernican explanation of the structure of
the "universe" was that the orbits of the planets, moon, sun and stars
were determined by transparent spheres on which these bodies were
mounted. Also that each body was a "perfect sphere" which was why there
were so many problems with Galileo's observation of sun spots
(imperfections), for example.

My question referred to the later concept. When one looks at the moon
with the naked eye it seems to be far from a perfect sphere with its
"blotches" that are easily visible. How did the early astronomers
(astrologers) explain that the concept of the perfect sphere apparently
did not need to be applied to the moon?

Was it in fact that it was thought to be corrupted by being so close to
the earth? Does anyone have more details?

David Abineri

--
dabineri@fuse.net