ASCII format

I composed a message in MS Word and then pasted
it into a reply to Chuck's comment. But that message
was rejected by the PHYS-L server. The error message
was clear:

> Your posting to the PHYS-L list has been rejected because
> it contains an attachment of type 'TEXT/ENRICHED'. The
> PHYS-L list has been configured to reject such attachments

To correct my mistake I opened a new MS Word document,
pasted my text into it, and save the new file in the "text only"
format. After that I cut-and-pasted the content of that file into
the e-mail message to be sent to PHYS-L

I do not understand why it was rejected with same error
message as above. Is it not true that "text only" means
"pure ASCII?" The problem was solved by using my old
Teach Text editor on Mac but I wander why I was not
successful with MS Word? How can an MS word
document be saved in the pure ASCII form?

Ludwik Kowalski