Re: Reading Science/Math Texts - PART 1

Richard Hake wrote:

PART 1
As indicated in my post "Re: Reading Science Texts," [Hake (2004)],
high-school chemistry teacher John Mackin (2004) asked some excellent
questions on Chemed-L [bracketed by lines "MMMMM. . . . .":

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
As I review this almost-completed year, I recognize that some of my
students came to chemistry class with limited abilities to learn
from a science textbook. This seems to be a more prevalent problem
than in previous years. Several questions come to mind.

1. Are others noticing this trend?

2. Are there any excellent resources available to teach students how
to extract information from science texts? ......

Could the "new" method(s) of science teaching be a response to this?

As a corollary I've noticed a marked decrease in projects, e.g. Science
Fair, interest. A fac. member at NPS who's been the co-organizer of the
County Science Fair confirmed this has occurred over ~ 15 years.

bc