Re: vibration vs. oscillation

At 05:22 PM 6/26/2004, Carl, you wrote:

Suppose a ball rolls without slipping down a rough inclined plane. I
am guessing you would like to call this an example of conservation of
mechanical energy: gravitational PE is converted into bulk
translational and rotational energy since static friction does no
work. This argument can be found in many intro books, but IMHO it's
nonsense.

By the same logic, if I start from rest and accelerate up to walking
speed without slipping on a level floor, my mechanical energy has
been conserved!!

//

Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5040

Physicists who muse on mechanical energy using the human body
as a model tend to get themselves into a fix.
The idea of a servo motor, or a bunch of servos which consume energy
even as they stand immobile is antithetical to the Physicist
world-view, it seems. I am alert to see how Carl avoids this
pratfall.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!