vibration vs. oscillation

I have been trying to figure out if a particle can vibrate. I think it can only
oscillate. My thoughts are primarily based on the 3rd edition of Halliday and
Resnick.

Here is what I have come up with:
1. A particle has no extend. Its position is described by a single coordinate.
A real object may be considered a particle if all points on the particle
undergo the same displacement in the same delta-t.

2. A particle cannot rotate or vibrate; it can only translate.

3. A particle can oscillate. For example, a particle can be attached to a
spring which provides a restoring force and causes the particle to oscillate.
(The spring is not part of the particle)

4. A system may consists of many particles. If the particles are oscillating,
then the system is said to vibrate. Such examples include a plucked violin
string, a stuck bell or a running motor.

Do you think this a good distinction to draw?

Thanks.

Debora

Debora Katz
US Naval Academy