Knowing what you know not about what should be known

Sirs/Madames,

It seems that I can find NO ONE who will answer the

following simple question. And this is a question

which is very central to everything we are meant

to know about the matter, so that, by NOT knowing it, we really know NEXT TO NOTHING about that important something about which we thought we knew at least more than nothing. But, how do we know more than nothing about ANY something, if we know not anything whence the something arises from something else besides itself, or, in the alternative case, about how it arise from itself, itself (unless we were to unreasonably say that something arise from nothing)?

When I ask people this simple question, they either can't answer it , or revert to a tautalogy as in, “It is true

because the formula says it is," or “It is true for exactly the reason that it is so,” or even, “it is true because Newton discovered it to be just as it is,” instead of explaining the physical CAUSE of the formula.

Sometimes, the people who answer thusly, even seem to be covering up for the fact that they KNOW NOT, but are only repeating something that they think they must repeat. But there is not crime in knowing not, but only in pretending to know that which we know not, and, I believe, a crime in not seeking to know what we know not.

So, here is the KNOT:

We say the the force is the product of masses

divided by the square of the distance between them,

and it is readily understandable why we say the

square of distance, since this is simply the falling

off according to the inverse square. But, why do

we say PRODUCT of masses? What is the physical

cause of that? If you know about that, I will be very grateful for your reply. Seriously, I have NEVER gotten a real explanation of this.

Best wishes,

Jeremy Batterson