Re: Cosmology

The date of the arbitrary fudge factor
identified by Planck which reconciles the Rayleigh-Jeans law
to the experimental black-body curve was 1900.
It's now initialized with a letter that looks much like an 'h'.
Hope this straightens out the dateline.

Planck's remained a lonely voice until a patent clerk illuminated
a clean copper sheet with light of various intensities and
frequencies and used the same fudge factor to fit the
response curve. This did snag a Nobel. What year was that?
Can't recall.

Still, Jack may have a point about my being behind the times.
I thought that the inflationary big bang phase
requires the suspension of disbelief in hyperspeed.

Restore my faith: tell me I have it worng!

Brian W

p.s. To haver:
talk foolishly, babble; vacillate, hesitate
[COD 7th Ed.]

06:56 PM 6/19/2004, Jack, you wrote:
Hi all-
Brian's a bit behind the times and a bit off on dates.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Brian Whatcott wrote:

> I am not the one to poke fun at cosmogonists who seek to compose
> the irreconcilable: I simply recall that the squirming point of the
> fin du 19ieme century

"ultra-violet catastrophe" usually refers to early calculations in
quantum electrodynamics. Quantum mechanics was invented in the 1920's.
What 19th century paper is referred to here?

> was the ultra violet catastrophe, and the
> comparable issue at the end of the 20th has been the mensuration
> of time and space.
>
> Einstein havered with a constant to render variable

Although I don't recognize the verb here, Einstein's constant was to
render <static> the Schwarzschild solution to his equation. I don't
recognize the meaning of "variable cosmogony". Cosmogony means "1 : a
theory of the origin of the universe
2 : the creation or origin of the world or universe"

> his cosmogony,
> and more than one theorist is stringing together a pretty
> necklace of dark masses, manifold dimensions and so forth.
>
> There will, I dare say, first be:
> a resolution of the red shift redder than the preferred Universal age:

This was true for a short time, but the near precision
determination of the Hubble "constant" has obvioated this apparent
problem.

> then a reworking of the inflationary Universe: - if you're going to
> believe in C, then act as though you believe in C, oh ye of little
faith!

> I could go on, but I won't.
>
> Brian W

The summary of the current measurements in the latest Physics
Today was, to my mind, pedagogically top notch. The evidence so far seems
to bne consistent with a cosmological constant in the Einstein sense.

<snip>
[Jack Uretsky]