Re: Cosmology

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:46:29 -0600 Jim Green <JMGreen@SISNA.COM> writes:
If the universe were finite and smaller than the distance to the
"surface of last scattering" (the place in deep space from whence comes
the
cosmic microwaves and that constitutes the edge of the visible
universe),
then multiple images should show up in the microwave background.

OK it doesn't sound as though the list is better off than me. But
at least please explain how the Universe can be "smaller" than the
distance
to the edge of the visible universe. Does this mean that the
"universe"
does not contain within it the place in deep space whence ("from
whence" is
illiterate) comes the cosmic microwaves? Or does not contain the
space outside this region?

Oh, I have it; there is no space outside the universe whence come
cosmic waves. Nuts!
Jim
Jim Green mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen

It's a puzzlement?? ..... or does Jim have a point??