Cosmology

>If the universe were finite and smaller than the distance to the "surface
>of last scattering" (the place in deep space from whence comes the cosmic
>microwaves and that constitutes the edge of the visible universe), then
>multiple images should show up in the microwave background.

OK it doesn't sound as though the list is better off than me. But at least
please explain how the Universe can be "smaller" than the distance to the
edge of the visible universe. Does this mean that the "universe" does not
contain within it the place in deep space whence ("from whence" is
illiterate) comes the cosmic microwaves? Or does not contain the space
outside this region?

Oh, I have it; there is no space outside the universe whence come cosmic waves.

Nuts!

Jim

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com