Re: Regents Textbooks

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:27:13 -0400 Mike Francesco <mfrancesco@SOCSD.ORG>
writes:
We are still using a 1990 edition of Murphy & Zitzewitz for our
regular Regents class. We had some copies rebound a few years back
and we
have a ton of them so we could keep using them indefinitely ( Is it now

totally out of print?). Our main supplements are websites now; the
internet
makes it so much easier to supplement chapters that may be weak in any
particular book. I look at new books every year, but I haven't
seen anything worth a total switch yet.

Michael Francesco, TZHS

Other than the addition of some modern topics such as "Quarks"
and the deletion of some topics, such as "simple machines" there is
practically no major differences in any of the textbooks published during
the past 25 years .... and possibly another 10 years more.

If your budget is tight, continue to use your "ancient physics
textbooks and supplement them with a good (less than $10.00)
regents review book each year. All of the regents review books
generally cost less than $10 each. Furthermore, they can be
retained by your students for their home library and used
as references and study help for college courses and thereafter.
It will make the textbook publishers unhappy but you may find that you
have extra money in your budget for additional demo and lab apparatus,
computer programs, and other previously unaffordable teacher aids.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where most of the new physics textbooks cost us more than $50 each)

.