-----Original Message-----
From: Forum for Physics Educators
[mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On Behalf Of Ludwik Kowalski
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 2:00 PM

What does the quoted principle explain?

On Monday, Jun 7, 2004, at 10:11 America/New_York, Robert Cohen wrote:

"A PRINCIPLE TO REMEMBER. In a chemical
change the atoms in substances are rearranged
to make one or more new substances. The result
is a change in composition."

Would it be appropriate to replace the word
PRINCIPLE by the word LAW?

Although there is no hard and fast rule concerning the use of the
terms, to me it sounds like an explanation and, as such,
has more in
common with a theory than a law.