Re: Energy level diagrams

We still don't know why spdf * -- do these describe the appearance of
the lines?

Just a guess: D lines have a higher multiplicity than P. S are single
(unless the spin is resolved?)

* next are alphabetical

bc

Pete Lohstreter wrote:

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu> writes:

A question came up on another list serve and the writer would like to
know why the energy levels are lettered. I know why the numbers are
used for hydrogen but who set up the lettering scheme.

s,p,d,f stand for sharp, principal, diffuse, fundamental.
The names (and abbreviations) come from the earliest work
in spectroscopy -- any effort to sort out the various
spectral lines, long before there was any understanding
of atomic structure.

This is true. However, I think the question is about lettering the
principle orbit locations not the orbitals. For instance, the first orbit
is either designated as '1' or 'K' the second is '2' or 'L' etc...

And now the answer to the question....

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/history/faq/why-KLMNOP.shtml

Pete Lohstreter "Happy is he who gets to know
The Hockaday School the reasons for things. "
11600 Welch Rd Virgil (70-19 BCE) Roman poet.
Dallas, TX 75229

214-360-6389

plohstreter@mail.hockaday.org

See what our students are doing......