Re: Hovercraft construction

I like David Arlander's 2-plywood-disks design at
<http://groups.physics.umn.edu/pforce/hovercraft.html>.
The top disk provides an airseal all the way around the plastic sheet
which is wrapped around the bottom disk. Quite rugged.

Heavy construction-grade plastic is a must.

If you use a gas-powered leaf blower, it makes a heckuva racket which
raises the kewlness factor several notches :-)

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright Retired Physics Teacher
<exit60@cablespeed.com> Charlotte MI 48813 USA

Dan MacIsaac wrote:

I'm getting pretty excited about the idea of teaching mechanics
and building the ideas of inertia, circular motion and Newton's laws
using student-ridable hovercraft built with plywood. Arons discusses
the use of 50kg block of dry ice on glass to kinesthetically
experience inertia; I think the homebuilt hovercraft is the way to go,
easier to get and far more intrinsically motivational (fun & cool).

Having said this, I've have to admit I've never personally build a
homemade hovercraft. Does anyone have experience building these
things they could share with me? What airtrack sources? What
designs?

If successful I think we'd build several dozen as part of a teachers'
alliance and or summer academy course project.

Your suggestions are sought and welcome.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor, Physics, SUNY Buffalo State College
222 SCIE BSC 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>