Re: Magnetic pendula

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu> writes:
We have all seen those desktop novelties: battery powered pendula, a
metallic circular frame rotating within a swinging circular frame. Some
look (kind of)like bohr atoms, some have a model space shuttles going
around
in apparently chaotic behavior.

A battery powers an electromagnet in the base, which acts on a permanent
magnet embedded in the pendulum. Somehow this keeps the pendulum going
despite frictional losses.

Thinking about it has me wondering why the force from the electromagnet
doesn't do as much slowing down of the pendulum as it does speeding up.
Any ideas?

The e-magnet is not on all of the time. There is a transistor in the
circuit that is triggered by the approach of the perm. mag. to the coil.
A short burst of current gives the perm. mag. a little kick every time it
passes the low point of the base.

Pete Lohstreter "Happy is he who gets to know
The Hockaday School the reasons for things. "
11600 Welch Rd Virgil (70-19 BCE) Roman poet.
Dallas, TX 75229

214-360-6389

plohstreter@mail.hockaday.org

See what our students are doing......