Re: Parallel Universe

I hope someone can help me. A student sent me this web site
<http://www.allsci.com/parallel.html>
and suggested that we do the activity in class (it is very simple and
involves poking holes in a card and shining a laser beam at the holes,
then observing
the interference pattern). However, the web site claims that the observed
pattern is evidence for parallel universes. I would like to be able to
explain
convincingly to my students that it is no such thing.

Oops. Not very good physics. Just because it seems odd to _you_,why would
you teach our students to ignore anything that seems odd? Suppose there
are parallel universes ie suppose string theory is right!

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen