Re: molecular weight of dry air

On Thursday, May 13, 2004 12:13 PM, James Frysinger wrote:

[snip]
Atomic mass has units of mass. That's where it gets its
quantiy name. It can be stated in kilograms (awkward),
yoctograms (1 yg is 10^-24 g), or unified atomic mass
units. Thus, it is not dimensionless. Chemists, for reasons
known to themselves, may use a casual practice of omitting
the "u" symbol and thus making those values appear
unitless, though they are not.
[snip]

I am used to representing the atomic mass in units of
grams/mole (which is equivalent to u/atom), i.e. the atomic
mass of C-12 is 12 g/mole. Is it improper to refer to that
as atomic mass (since it doesn't have units of mass)? If
so, what is the proper name? Molar mass density?

Come to think of it, is there a convention for which symbol one
uses to represent the atomic mass in an equation? If so, is
the same symbol used for the molar mass density?

Boy, I didn't realize how much I didn't know...

Robert Cohen; 570-422-3428; www.esu.edu/~bbq
East Stroudsburg University; E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301