Re: Internal resistance again. COLD FUSION

On Monday, May 10, 2004, at 19:40 America/New_York, John Denker wrote:

Keep in mind that hydrogen (or in this case deuterium) in
such metals is extremely mobile. Consequences include:
-- The formula TiDx, should not be interpreted as
indicating that a chemical compound exists.
-- If you apply an electric field, there will be a flow
and/or concentration gradient of H/D atoms.
-- If you're not careful, the atoms will electromigrate right
out the end of your sample and into your hookup wires,
if they haven't already. This depends on what the
wires are made of, and depends on the effectiveness
of whatever barrier layers you've arranged.

That my be an explanation of what i observed in one of my foils in the
first hour. Now the current is steady like a rock but then it was
fluctuating widely between zero and one amp. I deliberately avoided
speculations along the line of wishful thinking and attributed these
fluctuations to something crazy going on the power supply. It is
impossible to follow all hints at the same time; but it important to
record what is going on. Next time I will try to use a computer to
collect data automatically, for example, every minute or so. I have two
foils under the current but only one showed large fluctuations of
current at the beginning. That is why I contributed crazy fluctuations
to the power supply. But you are correct, John, many variables are not
under control in this experiment, in particular metals between which
the TiDx foils are squeezed. I just grabbed what I found around (Al,
steel, brass). The notation TiDx, by the way, does not imply that there
is chemical bounding; deuterium ions do migrate and, perhaps, share the
same vacancies in the crystal. I am going to look at the setup and
record exactly which metals are in contact. Thanks for pointing out the
importance of this. Voltages along foils are 0.7 and 0.8; this is
comparable to "barrier layers."
Ludwik Kowalski