Feynman (was pedagogy)

Hi all-
I sent John D's remarks about Feynman to a colleague who was once
Feynman's TA. Here are John's remarks followed by my friend's comments:
John wrote:
Richard Feynman interacting with undergraduates. He
was known for being a bit gruff with colleagues who
didn't know what was going on, but he was more than
patient with freshmen and sophomores who didn't know
what was going on.

When he was working problems at the blackboard, he
didn't just show the solution. He commented on the
method of solution as he went along, which is where
this story makes contact with the subject of this
message. He would often say "At this point, you
may be tempted to try XXX, but that's a trap. You
can recognize traps of this sort by noticing ....."

I was quite struck by that. It was not even a case
of RPF "remembering" what it was like to be a student,
because he was so $#@! smart that he had probably
never in his life fallen into the sort of trap he was
discussing. The point is that he took his job as
teacher very seriously, and he was discussing things
at the students' level. He made it his business to
find out what the students found easy and what they
found hard and confusing. He did this partly by just
plain talking to students, and partly by looking at
their homework papers (even though he had graders who
did most of the grading).

The comment:
yes, of course, discussion and method are even superior to the actual
solution
to the problem in the first place...... after all, the problem itself is
there
to teach you methodology, and not the answer....
the scientific method....

as for feynman, i'll disagree: much of the time he was talking to himself,
or
some alter ego of himself,
around 11 yrs old, or his son, etc.... so he did not second guess the
naivete
of
his freshmen,
smart as he was: he Became a little kid in method acting and did ask all
the
naive and stupid questions
himself, fast and cleverly to be sure, but he asked them, and got
confused, and
got back, and
kicked himself and asked again, and backtracked and asked even more basic
questions.....
totally genuinely, and not as part of a pedagogical show.... and that's
what
stays with you if
you watched him: that it is OK to buzz and jump and backtrack and explore
improbable alleys,
mostly blind, but sometimes pure feynman paradoxical!

Regards,
Jack