Re: Pedagogy

Could we say "Thanks for asking that and thanks for letting me be a partner
in your learning."? Isn't this the golden moment we wait for as educators?
That moment when the student/learner is ready. We don't try to teach tying
shoes at 6 months, right?

Sheron

Sheron Snyder
LCC
Virtual Astronomy
Adjunct Faculty

Mike wrote:
In all these cases I am trying to say the right words that will offer
encouragement. But, as I said in the beginning, it is often difficult
to know which are the right words, because different students will react
different ways to the same words.

A more difficult task is knowing how to encourage the student who is
having difficulty because he did see it before (or has had the
prerequisite courses) but did poorly the time before. This is most
often true with math, but also true for HS physics and chemistry as well
as freshman college chemistry. By the time I get students in my
sophomore physics class, they are supposed to have had HS chemistry, HS
physics, a full year of college-level calculus, a full year of freshman
chemistry. I assume they know a fair amount of that material.

I am surprised that students who got C grades in calculus and C grades
in chemistry get upset with me when they have to work hard to get a C in
physics.