Re: Pedagogy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fernanda Foertter [Advanced Physics Forums]"
<admin@ADVANCEDPHYSICS.ORG>

Ever start a problem, that after two pages you just *know* the answer is
easier than you are making it? And then someone shows you the answer and
you can't help but feel dumb about how you went about it?

We've all been there...that one problem that you just can't see the answer
to it and you are into your third hour of research about it...so when a
student comes up to a prof that defeated, the last thing they need to hear
is "oh, thats easy!"

However, sometimes when giving a test I will say 'none of these problems are
terribly complicated, THEREFORE if your solution starts looking complex, you
might want to go back and re-think it."

;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: International Energy Project
energy management simulator
SIMLAB-Pendulum lab simulation
Energy 2100--class project