Re: Pedagogy

Wolfgang Rueckner asked, "Why not just answer the student's question
without value judgements?"

Yes, that is my first choice. But the student often essentially demands
a value judgement. It might start from the very beginning or might
creep in after a few minutes of dialogue.

Student: I need help with this problem.

ME: Okay. What have you done so far?

Student: Nothing. This problem is too hard. I don't even know where to
start.

ME: Well, let's read the problem and I'll ask you some questions to see
if I can lead you toward a starting place.

Student: It won't do any good. These problems are just too hard.

ME: Well, let's try.

Student: I don't know why you chose such a difficult book and why you
choose the hardest problems.

Variations of the above dialogue are common. These students are not
going to get the picture until I agree with them that the problem is
hard, or I convince them the problem is easy and they can do it. Some
students need the support of having me agree that the problem is hard.
Others need the confidence that comes from being told the problem is
easy enough that I really think they can do it. Others need a reality
check, a kick in the seat, to let them know this type of problem is the
same level of difficulty that students are doing in colleges and
universities throughout the world, and if they transferred to another
college or took the course with a different professor, that this type of
problem is not going to go away.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton College