From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu]On Behalf
Of Michael Edmiston
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 1:03 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Pedagogy

I think it is difficult to determine the best words to encourage a
student. When a student is stuck on a problem and comes to my office,
here are several scenarios...

* * * I say, "Yes, this is a really difficult problem." * * *

Some students will be relieved. They think, "Good, I'm not necessarily
dumb for not being able to get this."

Some students will shut down. They think, "I'm only a B or C student,
so if this is a difficult problem then I shouldn't even bother trying.
Only the geniuses in the class can do it. I shouldn't waste my time."

Some students will get angry. They think, "Why did he give us a problem
that some of us won't be able to do? That's not good teaching. I don't
have time to waste on that."

* * * I say, "This is actually an easy problem, but you need a hint." *
* *

Some will indeed feel I am putting them down for not seeing through an
easy problem. Others will be encouraged because I am telling them they
are able to do this kind of problem, but perhaps need a hint to get
started.

* * * I say, "You've seen this before, but perhaps you haven't made the
connection." * * *

Same types of reactions. Some are relieved to know I think they already
know how to do it. Some are embarrassed they didn't make the
connection.

* * *

In all these cases I am trying to say the right words that will offer
encouragement. But, as I said in the beginning, it is often difficult
to know which are the right words, because different students will react
different ways to the same words.

A more difficult task is knowing how to encourage the student who is
having difficulty because he did see it before (or has had the
prerequisite courses) but did poorly the time before. This is most
often true with math, but also true for HS physics and chemistry as well
as freshman college chemistry. By the time I get students in my
sophomore physics class, they are supposed to have had HS chemistry, HS
physics, a full year of college-level calculus, a full year of freshman
chemistry. I assume they know a fair amount of that material.

I am surprised that students who got C grades in calculus and C grades
in chemistry get upset with me when they have to work hard to get a C in
physics.

I am astounded that students will swear they never saw a hydrogen
spectrum before, yet the freshman chemistry professor can look in his
records and tell me what grade that student got on her lab report for
the hydrogen spectrum just one year ago.

These are the students that need to be told something like, "This is
easy, and you've seen the prerequisite material before, but
unfortunately you did not learn it. That's why you are viewing this is
difficult. What you really need to do is go back and learn the
prerequisite material, and then you will not find these problems so
difficult."

How do you say that without offending or depressing the student?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton College
Bluffton, OH 45817