Re: Pedagogy

At 9:41 PM -0400 5/5/04, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
"Good teaching" is determined by each student that witnesses
the instructor do what he/she does.

This is way too relativistic for me. Yes, I agree that there are different
teaching styles that can all be good, and yes, I agree that there are
different learning styles (and that teachers should try to address them).
But I don't think that all teaching is equally good, just depending on the
student. Some teaching is genuinely bad and some teaching is genuinely
good. Maybe you didn't mean your statement to say that "everything is
relative" but it came across that way.

Furthermore, I'd say that copying a textbook on the chalkboard (which I
have also witnessed--with Jackson, no less) is genuinely not good teaching.

Just my opinion,
Larry