Re: book sharing (was: Re: Pedagogy)

I am dumbfounded by those who suggest a college education costs so much
that the extra burden of buying textbooks might make it justifiable not
to buy the book.

This strikes me like saying...

I just paid $20,000 for my new car, and I can't afford oil changes and
15,000-mile servicing, so I'm just going to skip those things.

I just paid the landscaper $500 for this tree, but now I am so broke I
can't afford to water it, so I'll cross my fingers and leave it up to
nature.

I paid $10,000 for this piano, but now I can't afford lessons, so I'll
just see if I can learn to play it on my own.

I couldn't afford the full price of the sailboat, so I had them leave
out the sails.

I could afford just five minutes to write this e-mail, and my conclusion
is

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton College