Re: Pedagogy

Quoting "Fernanda Foertter [Advanced Physics Forums]"
<admin@ADVANCEDPHYSICS.ORG>:

thanks...and I don't disagree with you...

but my concern is: is this good teaching?

My main point is, if I have to do it myself, then why am I here? Why attend
class at all if all I'm going to see is a regurgitation of Marion on the
black board?

Maybe this is more clear :)

The question that I often ponder and toss out in discussions is do the students
in your class learn because of what you do or inspite of what you do.
Unfortunately, the answer is frequently in spite of. The best thing that
students can do is to figure out how to learn in spite of what the professor is
doing. There have been many good suggestions here and I have given these in
advice to students who come to my office to moan about the bad professor they
have. One I haven't seen here is form a study group. You might be amazed at
what someone else picked up that you didn't. And, this will help you to see
that you are not learning it on your own. You have company.

Mariam Dittmann