Re: Is success dependent on technique - PART 1

PART 1

Guy Ashkenazi, In his PhysLrnR post of 2 May 2004 11:16:18+0300
titled "Re: Is success dependent on technique - Hawthorne Effect,"
wrote:

"I share the same experience [to that reported by John Clement in a
Engagement] teaching method has resulted in negative social feedback,
but positive performance gain. Anyone (John?) has a reference to
similar results?"

Here are two case studies showing an inverse relationship of Student
Evaluation of Teaching (SET) scores to student learning:

I. When I first started teaching "P201," the large-enrollment
non-calculus-based introductory course for science (but not physics)
majors at Indiana University, I was just in off the
industrial-research-lab street. Following the example of the several
faculty in our department who had won university teaching awards, I
taught P201 in a fairly traditional manner - passive student lectures
(but with lots of exciting demos), algorithmic problem exams, recipe
labs, and a relatively easy final exam - a 77% average in my first
P201 course.

In that course I was gratified to receive a Student Evaluation of
Teaching (SET) evaluation point average EPA = 3.38 [on a scale of 1 -
4 (B plus)] for "overall evaluation of professor," with many glowing
student comments about my WONDERFUL teaching. I have little doubt
that had I continued using traditional methods and giving easy exams
I would have risen to become the U.S. Secretary of Education, or at
least president of Indiana University.

Unfortunately for my academic career, I gradually caught on to the
fact that students' conceptual understanding of physics was not
substantively increased by traditional pedagogy. As described in
Hake (1987, 1991, 1992, 2002c) and Tobias & Hake (1988), I converted
to the "Arons Advocated Method" [Hake (2004a)] of "interactive
engagement." This resulted in normalized gains <g> on the "Mechanics
Diagnostic" test or "Force Concept Inventory" that ranged from 0.54
to 0.65 [Hake (1998b), Table 1c] as compared to the <g> of about 0.2
typically obtained in traditional introductory mechanics courses
[Hake (1998a)].

But my EPA's for "overall evaluation of professor," sometimes dipped
to as low as 1.67 (C-), and never returned to the 3.38 high that I
had garnered by using traditional ineffective methods of introductory
physics instruction. My department chair and his executive committee,
convinced by the likes of Peter Cohen (1981, 1990) that SET's are
valid measures of the cognitive impact of introductory courses, took
a very dim view of both my teaching and my educational activities.

II. Consistent with the my own experience with SET's, Crouch & Mazur