Re: Science Article on Scientific Teaching

[Hake (2004)], Bob LaMontagne, in his Phys-L post of 28 Apr 2004
09:25:18-0400, wrote:

"Teaching is an individual art . . . . In my
30 plus years of teaching, I've not seen anyone
be more successful because of 'technique' than
the simple love and expertise in physics itself." . . . . . (1)

Generalizing Bob's statement to:

"Teaching is an individual art . . . . In my
years of teaching, I've not seen anyone in 'X'
be more successful because of 'technique' than
the simple love and expertise for 'X' " . . . . . . . . . . (2)

where "X" = the quotees discipline.

My 25-years experience in academia suggests that most university
professors would probably subscribe to version "(2)".

But just like the NRC's Committee on Undergraduate Education (CUSE),
Bob and most university professors appear to be "stranded on
assessless island" [Hake (2003)]. In that post I wrote [bracketed by
lines "HHHHHHHHH. . . ."; see that post for the references other than
Stokstad (2001), Hake (2002), Powell (2003), McCray et al. (2003),
Handelsman et al. (2004), and Bialek & Botstein (2004)]

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Eric Mazur was aware of the landmark pre/post testing work of Halloun
& Hestenes] [in sharp contrast to McCray et al. (2003) and the NRC