Biblical Inerrancy

I will mention an observation I find amusing: it is not surprising there is
something
of a culture clash between proponents of Religion and Physics.
Both groups include people who are pretty well convinced they have it right,
and feel it is their duty to share their superior insights with the rest
of us.

For a reasonable balanced view of definitions of Biblical Inerrancy, you might
look over this URL:

<http://www.religioustolerance.org/inerran2.htm>

Brian Whatcott

At 07:00 AM 4/26/2004, you wrote:
In a message dated 4/25/2004 3:41:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
betwys1@SBCGLOBAL.NET writes:

> Fernie is here illustrating a point on the spectrum of religious thought,
> called Biblical Inerrancy.
>
> This goes (roughly speaking) like this: since the Bible is written by
> prophets thought to have been guided by a Divine hand,
> then every word
> must be taken as literally true.

I am not sure that is entirely correct. Inerrency does not mean that
every word in the Bible is literally true as some language is clearly
meant to be poetic and interpreted in light of that. For example, one
passage describes God as sheltering His people under his wing but I do not
know of anyone who interprets this to mean that God literally has
wings. Inerrency *does* mean that the passage was meant to be in the
Bible, it is not included by mistake.

I hope this is not too far off topic but since we are discussing science
teaching and religion I thought it was important for all of the terms to
be properly defined.

Justin Parke
Oakland Mills High School
Columbia, MD