Re: Textbook ideas

On Friday, Apr 9, 2004,Laurent Hodges wrote:

This morning I spoke with a German physicist
and he told me that his university REQUIRED
all the physics teachers to use their OWN
materials, no textbooks can be required.

That is how it was when I was a student in
Poland ~50 years ago. Books were not yet
available at that time, except in libraries.

The great advantage of this was that one
had to take good notes. And taking good
notes is "active learning" because one must
listen and constantly decide what is worth
summarizing. Most of us had old books of
some kind to consult but there were no
uniformity in this.
Ludwik Kowalski