Entropy

http://www.av8n.com/physics/twelve-coins.htm

Once the customers understand what entropy is, you can
define temperature in terms of entropy.

One does not *require* a definition of entropy to define temperature.
Many would argue that defining temperature is easier to do than that.

Someone recommended the above site as a clear explanation of entropy.
If you were confused before viewing this site, and you feel more
confused after viewing it, I want assure you that you are reacting
appropriately. The explanation given here is science fiction. See,
instead, an appropriate textbook on the topic. My favorite accessible
textbook is Reif's "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics".

The indiscriminate use of convenient sources on the web is to be
discouraged, and classics should still be recognized for their great
value. We should not reinforce the practice of uncritically passing on
such convenient references to our students (customers!?) simply because
they exist.

Leigh