Re: entropy - motivation for definition

Thanks for the helpful replies. The course I'm teaching touches entropy
only qualitatively, and I'm always a little bit unsure about what I can say.

I often hear that Q/T "explains" the spontaneous direction. I would say
it doesn't explain it. It was rigged to come out positive for
spontaneous change by defining it as Q/T and by knowing that
thermal-energy flows from hot to cold.

This is precisely the sort of thing that motivates my question.

Arising from John's reply, since the (modern) definition of entropy is
probabilistic, how did the early thermodynamicists envisage it? My
recollection is that Boltzmann was so clever precisely because he came up
with the statistical interpretation of the pre-existing concept. Was it a
question of "rigging" something to "explain" the Clausius and Kelvin
versions of the Second Law?

Mark

Mark Sylvester
UWCAd