Re: worms or lack thereof

Some more interesting worm/virus facts:

- Some worms can infect you/your computer even if you
don't check email on a computer. They take advantage of
RPC vulnerabilities and break through a port (often 135)
on Windows machines. All that is required is one other
computer on the node to be infected (I caught a very
nasty parasite from our campus wireless net and took it
home to my home net).

- Some viruses will look through the inbox and send
messages to everyone in the inbox - Being in someones
address book isn't required!

The moral? It is worthwhile to compulsively update your virus scan
software and install all Windows Updates as soon as they come out. The
better option, if your budget and software needs allow, is Mac OSX
(LINUX/UNIX have their own hacker issues, but are less trying than
Windows).

Now, if only we could rechannel the hackers problem solving skills into
something like Physics...

Cheers,
Pamela (whose office contains a Mac, an XP box and a LINUX box)

John Denker wrote:
Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

A VIRUS FROM OUR OWN SERVER?

No.

1) Useful fact to remember: Viruses typically forge
the From: address.

2) Sending forged email is exceedingly easy.

3) Another useful thing: The phys-l archives are
searchable. No attachments appear in the archives. So
there is every reason to believe that the listserv
has *not* been involved in propagating any viruses or
worms.

4) We can surmise with modest confidence that someone
who is infected lists both Ludwik and phys-l in his
address book. The rationale here is that the address
book is the worm's typical source of recipient-addresses
and (forged!) sender-addresses. But even this is a
moving target, since worms are getting cleverer about
how they make up addresses.