Re: battery

"I[n] my class today I did
follow the textbook. I said that a battery
behaves as if it had an energy loss
visualized as an internal resistance."

Student project:

place load resister in a calorimeter (with water) and the cell in another. monitor continuously (Vernier) the current thru and potential across the resister, in addition to the temperatures (more Vernier) [note maximum transfer theorem]

bc

p.s. L! Get an un-electronically regulated P/S with a single cap. filter. Observe the output w/ an o'scope while varying the load, the value of the capacitance, the value of an inserted resistance between the rectifier and the cap. Also with the other 'scope channel, observe the charging current by using the potential across the inserted resister. WATCH OUT for common grounds and electrified 'scope chassis. [15 V supply safer than a 300 V one]

Horowitz and Hill devote some time on power supply ripple. sections
1.27 and 6.13 (second ed.)