Re: Dew Formation

As promised, last nite clear.

HD RS IR thermometer:

Top of toyota (~ 2210) 9 deg. C; sides 15 deg.; house (stucco)
and brick wall ~ 17 deg. zenith - 19. Was a very warm day.

Following am (0720 sun sl. "up")

Top 10 deg; sides 15 (brick 14) ; & 13 & 14 stucco 13; plastic
recycle / yard waste 14 (between part of car and house).
zenith -23 deg. C

SSHS KPHOX wrote:

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu> writes:

I assume that the colder
air falls to the ground so that by the side windows it is slightly
warmer. However, for the windshields the "ground" is the hood or rear
trunk and is just that much cooler.

In a class taken many years ago, I was led to believe that the top of the
car was radiating into space and the sides into the neighborhood. The rate
of radiation is supposed to depend on the differences of the 4th power of
the temperatures (K^4). The clear night sky is much colder than the
neighborhood and thus the top of the car radiates faster dropping to a
lower temperature producing the conditions needed for freezing. It makes
some sense to me and would love to know if that is still a valid
explanation.

Thanks

Ken Fox