Re: Electrical Wire Safety

I think it also make a HUGE difference how the warning is presented.
The
old fashioned way of just saying, don't do this and don't do that, most
likely has an outcome suggested by John. If we bother to give the reasons
for the warning, the outcome may be more positive. It is context that is
so
lacking in education and causes students to ignore or forget what we say.

Why not use a research based method (learning cycle).
1. First give them "exploration" in the concepts that you wish to use a base
for the lesson. Obviously this does not involve giving dangerous shocks.
Demonstrations can be included here, but students must always be asked to
predict outcomes before seeing the demo.

2. Then give the lecture and term definitions.

3. Finally have them apply the ideas. At this point they can do problems
and answer questions. By answering questions about safety themselves they
will be able to cross apply the lessons to unfamiliar situations.

This of course means that students have to acquire the idea that charge
flows continuously in a loop and that the ground has at some point been
connected to the circuit. In addition acquisition of a one way model for
current may be desirable, but may not be absolutely necessary. In other
words a lesson on safety can be incorporated into a research based
curriculum after certain concepts have been acquired by the students.

Just giving reasons in a lecture is very ineffective when the students have
not acquired models similar to that of the lecturer. Indeed it is reduced
in effectiveness even when the models have been acquired.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX