Re: Torricelli

Monday, Mar 15, 2004, at 03:26 America/New_York, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

My reply is, why not? Just make sure the d of the tube is small enuff
so cohesion, surface tension, or whatever can maintain the surface. I
just tried it with an inverted glass and carefully slid the plate away.
The water didn't dribble until I had exposed a > noticeable opening.
The difference between water and mercury is for someone else to detmn.

One difference, as far as Torricelli' tube is concerned,
is that the tube with water must be 13.6 times longer
that the tube with mercury to show the same effect.
(760*13.6=10334 mm). Yes, I am ignoring cohesion
and surface tension mentioned by Bernard.
Ludwik Kowalski